Sunday 13 May 2012

Khurafati Kookies

She is 60 plus and off sugar & high cal food. Like many her age, lifestyle symptoms like high BP, cholesterol etc need to be kept at bay. Taking her out to eat is a challenge what with the lady in question being on restricted diet for ever. Minimal sugar, no fruit that is extra sweet, no item that is starch-laden and more. Add to that the fact she is a cook par excellence herself and you have the perfect recipe for a high-nosed mom who is hard to please.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              But please you must & please you will. What with Mother's Day having acquired such a status that you cannot let the day pass without doing some khurafat. Long ago, when I'd asked the class how they intended to make it special for their mothers that Mother's Day, Tamal had the noblest intention. "By staying out of the house!" Almost a decade later, I am following his funda. Increased the distance. Decided to stay out of the country. And cook for her from here. There is less risk involved. A dish served on a platter may be met with disapproval but one served online is bound to touch the right cord. Or the right bud :) Especially when the recipe is a variation from her own kitchen. 
                                                                                                    'What are you doing with the leftover gulab jamun ras?' 'Haven't decided yet. Tell me.' And ma sent me her mishti nimki recipe, the Bong cousin of the shakarpara. This was one of my favourite tucks during college. In its tweaked version, I baked it into Cookies instead of deep frying it in a kadai-full of oil. Herself on a perpetual controlled intake, what makes her send me an oily recipe! I am not growing any younger or slimmer by the day! That was Benjamin Button. 
                                                                                                    This one is for you mum. Can't help the sweet. (Can be made with sugar-free too!)Went easy on the oil, tho. Serve this for tea, friends. And your mother will confer you the ustad title. Mine did :)  
                                                                                                                                         Ingredients:
1. 1 cup maida
2. 3/4 cup sugar syrup
3. 2 tbsp refined oil
4. 1/4 tsp baking powder
5. 1 tsp vanilla essence
                                                                                                                                         Method:
1. Put oven to pre-heat at 350° C. 
2. Mix the ingredients well and knead into a tough dough.
3. Roll out like thick rotis, cut them into any shape you want and bake them in the pre-heated oven @ 350°C for 8-10 mins. 


Crunchy cookies are ready to be served. Hot or cold as she likes it! 



                                                              Dear Ma, I may not be as good a cook as you but I am trying. Yes, I know I've chopped my hair when you'd like it longer & I don't don the sari as often as you may like me to. But I love you as much as you love me. Don't miss me too much. If you do, I'll come back & cook for you. And you may want me to go away again. Remember how you had to get well soon because I was making okhhaddo maachcher jhol for you after your surgery :)
Happy Mother's Day, Ma. Love you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment