GS & I were collegues for a couple of years in the corporate. He had joined the organization as an intern and, thanks to his diligence, was soon noticed for his good work. Before we knew it, Gyan was on the rolls of one of the best employers of the world.
A sincere IT engineer & a keen learner, Gyan is a rare person who has accepted the merger of two organizations with calmness. When everybody around him is tearing his hair out, Gyan is happily posting pictures of the annual party of the merged entity.
This chhena/paneer dish is in honour of all the Gyan Singhs we know. Those who accept change with equanimity. Those who follow the Geeta Gyan with the wisdom of the evolved.
Chhanar Dalna is a paneer(cottage cheese) recipe from the traditional Bengali gharana.
1. Cubed paneer - 1cup
2. Cubed boiled potato- 1 cup
3. Green Peas- 3/4 cup
4. Water- 1-1 1/2 cup
i. Tej patta(bay leaf)- 2-3
ii. Zeera(cumin seeds)- 1/5tsp
iii. Zeera paste- 1/2tsp
iv. Adrak(ginger)paste- 1/2tsp
v. Dhania (coriander) paste- 1/2tsp
vi. Haldi (turmeric)- 1/4tsp
vii. Red chilli powder- to taste
viii. Garam Masala Powder-1/4tsp(for flavour)
6. Sugar- 1tsp(if preferred)
7. Salt- to taste
8. Refined Oil- to cook
9. Ghee- 1tsp(for flavour)
1. Saute paneer cubes & keep aside.
2. In hot oil, allow zeera & tej patta to crackle. Add turmeric powder & zeera, adrak, dhania paste & fry on medium flame till aroma wafts.
Add the cubed potatoes & stir for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the peas & paneer & stir with the potatoes for 3-5 minutes till masala mixes well. Add chilli powder now.
4. Add water,sugar & salt & bring to boil. Let ingredients simmer till gravy thickens.
5. Add ghee & garam masala two minutes before removing from flame.
Chhanar Dalna is generally served with plain/fried rice. Try it with roti/parantha/naan if you wish.
Thank you for the pics momma. What would I do without you!